How to: Tasty Mashed Cauliflower

With some of my recent medical issues I have been trying to eat better. I have improved many bad habits already. This recipe is a middle ground. The cauliflower is taking the place of the higher calorie potatoes yet you are still getting some of those delicious flavors from mashed potatoes. It helps to trick your senses. The first time I made this I served my husband Jason dinner without telling him. He enjoyed it, though he did notice a slightly altered taste. I wanted to find out blindly if they really tasted that close. The mashed cauliflower was a hit! Once I told him it made sense. We now make this quite regularly! 

Let's get started so you can enjoy this delicious dish at your dinner table!

Kitchen items needed:


[Affilitate links below, they will give a 
small commision at no charge to you]
  • Nutri Ninja Blender, food processor, or veggie chopper
  • Medium mixing bowl
  • Medium pot
  • Medium colander
  • Cheesecloth
What ingredients you'll needed:
  • 2 (1 lb) bags of frozen cauliflower
  • 2+ tbsp Brummel & Brown (butter or alternative) [according to taste]
  • 1/4-2 1/4 cups milk 
  • 1 tsp salt (or less)
  • 1 tsp pepper (or less)
  • 1 tsp garlic powder (or less)
  • 1/4 cup instant potatoes (We prefer Idahoan)
Recipe should feed 4 servings!

First you'll need to steam your cauliflower from the freezer. (Follow directions on the bag )


After steaming, drain the excess water using a colander. The cauliflower will need to be transformed from large chunks to a smooth and fluffy consistency. I use my Nutri Ninja Blender Duo w. AutoIQ to pulverize the cauliflower. The best setting I have found is puree. [If you don't have one use the link to purchase on Amazon!] Also, veggie choppers or food processors should work as well.

Once you have a rice-like or smaller consistency you can remove the cauliflower from the blender. Take your bowl and lay the cheesecloth over the top. Pour your cauliflower onto the cloth.

Use the cheesecloth to drain out as much liquid as possible. Discard of any remaining liquid. Grab the colander from earlier and place the cauliflower filled cheesecloth into the colander and set aside.



Grab your pot, instant potato, 2+ tbsp butter (or alternative) and 1/4 cup milk. Place heat on medium, combine the milk and butter in pot. Stir while the butter melts. Once the butter has melted turn heat to lowempty the 1/4 cup of instant potatoes into the pot and mix thoroughly until the potatoes have thickened.

Now add the spices and the cauliflower into the pot. Mix all ingredients together. Let cook for about 2-3 more minutes on low. Be careful that the bottom isn't burning or sticking! 

Keep mixing and add more milk to reach the preferred thickness.

Turn off the stove and cover. Let sit for 5 mins.

Mix and serve with a bit of butter on top!


Now it may sound difficult but it's quite easy! I didn't own a cheesecloth at one time either (don't worry!). They actually sell them in the kitchen accessories section of the Dollar Tree stores. I love the dollar store which I'm sure you'll find out quickly if you follow my blog.

Also to save money I take the left over instant potatoes and store them in a snack baggie. They last forever and you only need that 1/4 cup each time you make it. Always trying to save wherever possible!

I hope you try this recipe out soon. If you do, please let me know in the comments how it went or if you need help! 


The future is bright!

xoxo

D. Hord










Share this:

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments: