ReGrow Vegetables from Scraps

ReGrow Vegetables from Scraps

I've done this a couple of times now. You'll see from my pictures several different bowls were used, because how dare I hand wash something haha! It takes about a week for our dishes to make it through the dishwasher and be put away. The Hords can be pretty lazy.


Anyways so you can purchase lettuce [in my case romaine], celery, carrots, etc from the store and use a part of it to ReGrow and save for next time. Since I've been out of work lately I've been trying to easily save a few bucks here or there. 
I like 'Easy', who doesn't?!
I remember scrolling by a graphic showing the veggies that could be easily regrown from scraps. Sadly, I did not Pin it. [Why? Like this is the whole point of Pinterest to easily 'pin' in'teresting' anything, Ugh sometimes I question my sanity. Just kidding - I always do] 
So I've been searching for about 30mins so far to be able to share the graphic as well as give credit to the Pin & user deserved for sparking this post.
I will hopefully updated this post with said pin and credit!

I decided the first and easiest to attempt would be romaine lettuce.

I've got a secret!

My amazing neighbor, Pauly, is a major green thumb and has quite a beautiful little garden in his backyard. All of the credit for the watering/tending in the second half of the process belong to Pauly! He has mentored me and significantly improved my plant success. I'm working with a spider plant in the kitchen currently - MIL gave it to us back in August or September and it's still alive. That's what we call progress! Next plant test will be something that's not super difficult to kill. hehe
Baby Steps people.

...back to the lettuce:
The 1st Step: Cut your lettuce at least 2.5 inches from the bottom of the romaine stauk. Use the rest of the lettuce in the next few days.

2nd Step: Use a bowl [indoor/outdoor] and place all veggies with at least 1 inch of water.
Now is the waiting game.

3rd Step: Place bowl in sun. Check water level daily. Change water before it starts to look gross.
Wait for the lettuce to sprout new leaves from center. Let these grow at least 2 inches.
[I've tried a couple different lengths before planting and the longer you wait in the water the better.]

4th Step: Plant the lettuce in rich soil. Bury the old scrap portion of the lettuce below the soil line, leaving the new leaves peaking through the dirt.
Water daily. Wait for leaves to grow a several inches.


Final Step: Pick lettuce leafs as needed.


I decided to have a taco salad with my delicious fresh from the backyard 
Romaine Lettuce.

SO GOOD!


At the same time I also attempted to regrow celery and avocado tree from seeds. These have yet to yield anything though, they aren't dead! The celery is still surviving [through morning frosts at this point] in the garden - so I guess I can still be hopeful? Haha

The avocado seeds definitely have not changed at all. I'm still going to keep attempting this; if they can do it so can I, right?!


Hopefully you enjoyed this post! Now go out and Do It Yourself!!!

...the future is bright!

xoxo
D.Hord



Share this:

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments: